Anti freeze half water?

When did that happen?
$13 per gallon and it’s half water.
Wotta deal for someone.

9 Likes

Been doing it for quite a while now. Most people are too lazy to mix their own…so they capitalize on their laziness by charging them out the ass for water. It’s the American way!
I still buy the concentrate…I need all the concentration I can get :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Yep, definitely the scam of the century for the lazy LOL I too buy the concentrated and water down myself

7 Likes

I always keep an extra empty jug, then divide the concentrate between the two jugs and top off with distilled water.

9 Likes

In Texas, we rarely need the antifreeze part of it. We typically call it coolant down here. :hot_face:

10 Likes

Likewise down here in Arizona…aka the devils playground lol!

6 Likes

I have always run 60 to 70% antifreeze… but I deal with -30° F
Even in Washington I would head up into the mountains and see minus 15°F
During the heat I run the same… it cools better and prevents boil over. I used to head to Nevada for off road madness. Same with my bikes. Have traved into Baja twice

6 Likes

Been doing the same thing for 40 years. I drop the lower hose, drain out the old.
Then fill the radiator up with pure coolant. The water content comes from the old diluted stuff in the block. Ive never had a problem yet.

5 Likes

Who sells the concentrate version of antifreeze?
The stores around here all sell the watered down version.

Didja know that antifreeze is forbidden in race cars?
It’s too slippery on the track should it leak out of the engine.
There are special engine coolants for racing.
Or just water even though it’s somewhat slippery, too.
Just ask any motorcyclist.

8 Likes

Water wetter is one of the coolents used for racing. Though we were aloud to use anti freeze on our sport bikes.
I did off road racing so not an issue. Hahhaa

5 Likes

Finally found full strength anti freeze at Advance Auto Parts.
The same price as the watered down version.
Eh??

7 Likes

The full stuff is less than twice the 50/50 stuff so makes sense for me to get the full . Most auto parts stores near me sell both.

7 Likes

It was a marketing genius that started selling premixed antifreeze at the same damn price. Hahahhahaa

6 Likes

I always buy the concentrate. I remember getting snookered once when they first started selling the 50/50 crap. I ran into the store and thought, wow cheap stuff… gimme that. Only when I went to water it down did I realize I paid for “half fast” antifreeze! :rage:

5 Likes

Coolant is the more correct name. Water transfers heat better, but coolant has a different boiling point. So it is mixed.

5 Likes

Pure water and heat from the engine rots the inside of the block
a lower boiling temp help from over heating in hot weather.

3 Likes

the coolant also acts as a wetter (in other words breaks down the surface tension of water and allows better contact between the walls in the galleries, medium and transfer of heat).Heat will always go from hot to cold.
And it increases the boiling point not decrease both because of pressure and the medium involved that allows more heat to be removed and the engine to run cooler. The thermostat is what actually controls the engine temperature by regulating the flow.
Pure water doesn’t rot the engine nor does it sludge or gunk up because it has no minerals, minerals will come out of ground water (tap water) as either temporary or permanent hardness which reacts with aluminum blocks (corrodes) and it is the free oxygen in water that rusts iron blocks (plus the mineral reaction).

7 Likes

Technically, the thermostat in a car maintains the minimum temperature.

3 Likes

But even pure water(good luck finding that, distilled water still ain’t 100% ‘pure’) isn’t ideal because, as you noted earlier, glycol reduces the surface tension and allows better contact between engine surfaces/coolant. Straight water can cause cavitation issues which WILL eat through coolant passages and/or water pumps over time. I’ve seen the mess cavitation can cause to diesels(more prone even with proper coolant). I always ran RedLine Water Wetter with distilled water on the track for that reason.

4 Likes

I just bought anti-freeze at Walmart universal stuff direct use $9.00.

4 Likes